About Me

My photo
Tabby Road, New Furrsey, Foo S. A.
i am a seven-year-old virtual Cream Persian FooCat (born on Little Christmas, 1/5/10), the mascot and spokesfurson for FooBA4U, the FooPets members' cooperative service site.

20140520

THREE YEARS...

Well. I was just looking back, and realised it's been a little over three years since Ron, Scott (where IS he, by the way?), and Eugene (who was never a very visible presence) rescued the site from the ashes of Rivet and restored it to functionality.

We still have pay to play - I can understand this, the original fiasco happened because OPM (Other People's Money) got control of the site, and forced contribution is preferable to another Riveting experience - but repeated requests for a budget plan without FD bang have fallen on deaf ears, sadly. Gifting has been restored, the Mart is back (sort of), and playmode, so far as I know, is running smoothly.

We still have the Junior Contingent - I don't see anything that can really be done about that, aside from creating a separate twin site for adults and lettting those who wish migrate their accounts there - and the accompanying restrictions on links and so forth. We still have an inflationary economy due to the vast influx of "free" FDs from memberships and the lack of direct member-to-member sales of pets, services, and items (this also means we effectively no longer have member-run shelters). We still cannot foster/care for pets whose owners we are not friended with. We still have the bounty on throwing pets away, with free LLs via Premium to facilitate the process. We still have (stop me if I'm wrong, it's been quite a while since I braved the Forums) runaway censorship of anything remotely negative...which appears to include nearly any constructive suggestions for change.

What DO we have? And what would we like? Or are all those still on board resigned to taking whatever the site hands them - are all the "activists" gone now?

(NOTE - due to repeatedly getting my head bashed in, the Foop no longer has any links - or even real mentions - onsite, so few if any who weren't already here know it exists, much less where to find it. Should I toss it onto - shudder - FaceBook?)

12 comments:

  1. As far as I'm Concerned the site is gone and they should just shut it down because it will never be good as it was ever again. As long as it stays pay to play i will never return unless that changes!
    I think it would've just been better if Ron had just let this site die along with Pet Tales because it's not been improved and it appears it never will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. perhaps...but I can't bring myself to abandon either my pets or the ideals that originally drew me here. I will admit to watching and waiting for far too long, but it's worth at least one more serious try.
      in the absence of outside investment (which caused most of our heartaches to begin with), there has to be SOME form of regular income, so pay-to-play in some form - though I think it can be made a LOT more reasonable, and gift certificates and scholarships are needed - wil have to remain until we can come up with a viable alternative, like a RL pet foods line, plushies, etc.
      FooPets used to be magic. I can't give up on that.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad I never put one dollar more into foo pets once my sub ended^_^. I guess I should thank Dr. Ron and everyone at foo though, because I am still living off my social security disability, as I did back then, so people that work for foo pay for it ^_^, and, in a little while, as I do every month since I left foo, I am putting my PSN card codes into my PS3, so I can buy content for games I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "are all the "activists" gone now?"

    I've learned the hard way, all this gets you now is suspended and leashed. I've been suspended twice I think or maybe it was once I can't recall now, since Ron came back for voicing unpopular opinions, and once for going to support about a person who was an ongoing problem. So yes, twice. The first was a misunderstanding, as was the second, but when I explained, I was told they might be wrong but my suspensions stood.... and then I was dogged in the forums, funny flags not withstanding, by Fa's and Admin alike and repeatedly warned even when I tried to be as conservative in my criticism as possible. So I've given up the hard road. It doesn't get me anywhere but angry and frustrated. I still voice opinions, but I make sure it's laced with enough praise, deserved or no, to keep me in the clear. I know they're talking about Ron going back to work FT on the site, but I gotta say, I really think that's smoke and mirrors. Until I see change I won't believe it. I've been dealt my humble pie and instead of throwing it and starving, I'm eating it. I don't much care what happens to the site anymore. I log on infrequently, maybe once a week if that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never say die...free speech seems to be on the upswing once more, as long as it's constructive.

      Delete
  4. here it is mid Oct 2014 and the now we can't even access our pets properly.
    Foopets SUCKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. about to revive the Foop as there finally appears to be some activity - and progress - onsite...stay tuned.

      Delete
    2. Progress?! what progress?! It appears it took a server crash for them to do anything at all which messed it all up to a point they can't hide how bad it all really is. they're even further back than ever before and just trying to return to a "Normal" that was highly inadequate in the first place.

      Delete
    3. I'm the one that wrote the above and I must admit that I'm shocked that Dr Ron is actually considering bringing back free play in some form. perhaps I was wrong and their really is going to be progress. plus they just changed the site colors and design finally back to a better scheme. I must give credit when credit is due. Things may actually be looking up.

      Delete
    4. all it takes is faith and patience...a LOT of both, sometimes, lol, but it's worth it to see Foo returning to its original ideals...go, Ron!

      Delete
  5. glad to see this coming back to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been waiting so long for this to happen - I'm afraid to pinch myself, lol. Still a long way to go, but we're finally moving in the right direction once more.

      Delete